Thinking about drinking Chamomile tea? Here's everything you should know about it.
Stress is an inevitable factor in our lives. Sometimes we get it from work, school, or even from our personal relationships. Unfortunately, getting stressed out can also affect other aspects of our lives, especially our health. We might feel pain or discomfort here and there or it can even cause sleeping disorders. Stress never goes away but we can do things to help reduce it—drinking tea is one of them.
There are many popular teas out there, but most of us know chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is widely recognized as an herbal tea that gives soothing or calming effects to our mind and body. By drinking chamomile tea, you can finally reduce your stress and get the better quality of sleep you deserve.
Before you drink chamomile tea, here's a helpful guide about it!
What is chamomile tea?
Chamomile tea is made from dried chamomile flowers. Chamomile is a flowering plant that has similar physical features to daisies. There are two types of chamomile that are being used for tea, namely German chamomile and Roman chamomile.
Many people have been drinking chamomile tea for so long that it traces back to early Egyptian times! This is considered to be a very popular herbal tea because of its effects and benefits, not to mention its aroma alone.
Chamomile tea is the best drink that will give you that calming, satisfying feeling of warmth and comfort. It's like an actual hug in a cup!
What is chamomile tea made of?
As previously mentioned above, chamomile tea is composed of dried chamomile flowers. But we did our very own spin on the chamomile tea by adding spearmint, lavender, rose petals, and lemongrass to its ingredients. We want our chamomile tea to smell great, taste great, and feel great. Every sip will give that certain warmth in your tummy that will be the perfect relaxing ending to a tiring day.
What are chamomile tea benefits?
The health benefits chamomile tea can give for a better quality of life!
Chamomile tea goes beyond its fragrant aroma and unique taste with the health benefits it provides. By drinking chamomile tea, you can significantly improve your mental and physical health. The chamomile tea benefits that do so many wonders to our well-being are as follows:
- Lowering blood sugar levels and treating diabetes
Drinking chamomile tea is a good way to lower and regulate blood sugar levels. It also helps protect the body from oxidative stress that leads to diabetes complications. One study showed that people who drank chamomile tea 3 times a day improved their glycemic control and antioxidant levels.
So if you have high blood sugar, try drinking chamomile tea!
- Helping cancer treatment and prevention
The big C is a tough enemy to beat. But according to some, chamomile tea may target cancer cells or even prevent some from developing at all. Although scientists need more proof to back up this claim, there’s no harm in drinking chamomile tea to help with the disease.
- Improving heart health
Since chamomile tea is filled with flavones (a class of antioxidants), it has the ability to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. This means that you will have fewer chances of developing heart disease. A cup of tea keeps the heart healthy!
- Improving digestion
When we have a stomach ache or digestive problems, we often turn to tea for help and with good reason. Chamomile tea promotes good digestive health because it reduces the risk of certain gastrointestinal conditions. Studies conducted on mice discovered that chamomile extract can be a protection against diarrhea and prevention from stomach ulcers. Although we need more proof based on human subjects, a lot of personal testimonies showed how chamomile tea is a soothing agent for the stomach.
- Fighting stress
As mentioned over and over, chamomile tea has the ability to calm and soothe us as we drink it. In fact, a 2016 study even found that the long-term use of chamomile extract can significantly reduce moderate-to-severe symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Stress is inevitable, but at least we have a reliable tea like chamomile to fight it.
- Helping with sleep and relaxation
Another unique characteristic of chamomile is that it can help improve sleep quality. It contains an antioxidant called apigenin that connects to certain receptors in the brain that help reduce insomnia and promote sleepiness. One study showed that a group of postpartum women who drank chamomile tea experienced better sleep compared to those who did not. They also had fewer symptoms of depression.
Isn't it amazing that you can experience all these health benefits just by drinking chamomile tea every day? It's a perfect example of doing small things ending in great things.
What does chamomile tea taste like?
When you drink chamomile tea, you will be getting a soft, floral taste. It will remind you of gentle traces of apple and it has a certain sweetness to it that can be likened to honey. You will easily feel its warm, soothing tones with just one sip.
Chamomile tea doesn’t really taste bitter as long as you add the right amount of water. You can also add a little sugar or honey to it to further enhance its flavor.
Making chamomile tea: a step-by-step process
If you're making chamomile tea, make sure you are adding the right amount of dried chamomile flowers and water to make the perfect brew! Here's a thorough guide to help you prepare the perfect chamomile herbal tea:
- Add a teaspoon of the dried chamomile flowers to a cup.
- Add 250 ml of water that was boiled up to 100 degrees celsius. Let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes. The longer you let it steep, the more the flavor will come out.
- Strain the tea to get rid of the flower petals before drinking.
- This can be brewed 1 to 2 times. Enjoy!
Other recipes for drinking chamomile tea
The great thing about chamomile tea is that it can be done in plenty of recipes. You can explore and find other ingredients that would make your chamomile tea taste better.
Here are other ways to make your chamomile tea more interesting:
Lavender and Chamomile tea
Just by looking at the recipe title, you know this is going to be one fragrant herbal tea!
- 1/2 cup dried chamomile flowers
- 1/2 cup fresh lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup apple mint leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 whole lemons (juiced)
- Boil water in a kettle or a pot. Let it cool.
- Add the dried chamomile flowers, fresh lavender flowers, and apple mint leaves in a tea kettle along with the boiled water. Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Sweeten it up with some honey or lemon juice. Serve the lavender and chamomile tea immediately.
Chamomile and Cinnamon Latte
If you're a fan of coffee drinks, then this might be an interesting one for you. We can turn an ordinary chamomile tea drink into a latte!
- 8 ounces pure water
- 8 ounces milk (dairy, almond, coconut, or rice milk will do)
- 1 handful dried chamomile flowers
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat and boil water in a medium saucepan.
- Remove water from heat and add in the dried chamomile flowers. Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Heat and froth the milk to make it foamy.
- Combine the chamomile tea brew and milk into a cup. Scoop a little of the milk and add it to the top of the cup. Sprinkle it with some cinnamon and enjoy!
Chamomile Ginger Iced Tea
If you're experiencing hot weather, iced chamomile tea will do the trick!
- 8 cups water
- 1 to 2 inches of fresh ginger pieces
- 2 cups of dried chamomile flowers
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 whole lemons (freshly squeezed)
- Ice cubes
- Heat and boil water in a medium saucepan. Cool for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, dried chamomile flowers, honey, and lemon juice. Let it steep for 1 hour or until the saucepan returns to room temperature.
- Strain the tea into a large glass pitcher. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- You can serve it in tall glasses filled with ice cubes.
If you want to be healthy and happy, drink chamomile tea!
To conclude, chamomile tea is one of the best teas out there. The health benefits chamomile tea can give are countless, and its taste and aroma will surely give you a soothing pleasure that will help calm your nerves at the end of each day. If we drink chamomile tea and include it in our lifestyle, we can guarantee a good quality of life!
Experience the best kind of chamomile tea with Life of Cha's Zzz Chamomile Sleepy Tea! Click here to order now.