The Ultimate Elderberry Immunity Syrup
I have been searching for a natural remedy to prevent and build our immunity for a long time. Personally, I tried a fair few remedies but nothing compares to the elderberry syrup!
Why Is Elderberry Syrup Good For You?
It's not only a powerful antiviral (for upper respiratory infections) and contains immune stimulating properties jam packed with vitamin C, it tastes SO good too!
To boost immunity and maintain good health, you can take a tablespoon of this elderberry syrup once a day (for adults).
If you are feeling like you're coming down with the cold or flu, I have found the best time to take this is as early as possible. This means as soon as you feel any symptoms (before the virus has a chance to spread).
Also combined with lots of sleep and warm liquids will give you the best chance of reducing the severity and duration of the cold or flu.
For me personally, it helped me recover within 1-2 days with minimal symptoms which was amazing as I always used to have horrible symptoms for at least 7-9 days.
(Disclaimer: obviously everyone is different so please check with your doctor or health adviser to see if it is appropriate for you).
So the recipe below is the one I always make for my family and it taste absolutely amazing. It is quite simple, easy and more affordable than store bought elderberry syrups and cough medicines.
How To Make The Best Elderberry Syrup For Cold & Flu
- 1/2 cups dried organic elderberry
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cups honey
- Put all ingredients (except honey) in a pot and bring mixture to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down to room temperature before adding the honey (to ensure the honey's essential enzymes and nutrients are preserved). Stir the honey well until all incorporated.
- Pour mixture into air tight container/jar and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 months.
How Much Elderberry Syrup Should I take?
Standard dose is 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp for children and 1/2 Tbsp to 1 Tbsp for adults. If the flu does strike, it's best to take it straight away and increase the frequency. In this case, take the normal dose every 2-3 hours instead of once a day until symptoms disappear.
Where Can I Buy Organic Dried Elderberry?
You can find 100g Organic Dried Elderberry here.