If you fancy a margarita every once in a while, you might like this recipe. A cocktail on its own is great but imagine mixing it with an ingredient that will make it even more flavorsome!
In this blog post, we'll be making a unique margarita with Hibiscus Tea!
What is Hibiscus Margarita?
Hibiscus Margarita is a cocktail drink that's a lovely mix of tequila and Hibiscus tea. Yes, alcohol and tea go along pretty well together!
To make this exciting drink, we first start by creating the tea. We do this by steeping dried hibiscus flowers and the sweetener of choice in boiled water. Then, we store the Hibiscus tea in the refrigerator (for as long as it needs) to chill it.
While setting that aside, the focus will be on preparing the margarita. Other than the tequila and other ingredients, you will be needing a cocktail shaker and margarita glasses. It would be best to chill the glasses in the fridge first just to make your margarita cooler and more refreshing in the end.
The last step would be mixing the chilled Hibiscus Tea with the margarita mix. The result will be a nice cocktail drink that's a combination of tequila's sharp taste and Hibiscus tea's floral and fruity notes.
I love Hibiscus Tea. It's probably one of my favorite herbal teas out there. Not only is its color attractive, but it's also a bit tastier compared to other tisanes and it's also good for your health!
This recipe can be great for when you're organizing an event or inviting some people over to your home. Plus, it's always fun to let other people experience something a little different like this one.
Hibiscus Margarita Recipe: How to prepare this tasty cocktail
This recipe wouldn't take too long to whip up especially for a party. It's easy and the results will surely satisfy you and your guests. All you need to do is to gather the right ingredients and make sure to taste what you're making as you progress along, just to make sure that you're achieving your desired flavor.
Ingredients for the Hibiscus Tea:
- 1 1/2 cups dried Hibiscus Flowers
- 6 cups filtered water
- 2/3 cup honey
Ingredients for the Hibiscus Margarita:
- 1 1/2 oz tequila
- 3 oz chilled Hibiscus tea
- 6 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- lime wedge (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
How to prepare the Hibiscus Tea
- Boil water up to 100°C.
- Add the dried Hibiscus flowers and honey. Stir well for 1 min.
- Pour Hibiscus tea mixture into a teapot or glass bowl. Steep for at least 20 mins.
- Strain out the flowers and pour the tea into a cup. Take a small sip to taste if it's too sweet or not sweet enough for you.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
How to prepare the Hibiscus Margarita
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker and pour in the tequila, chilled Hibiscus tea, honey (or maple syrup), and lime juice.
- Shake thoroughly.
- Strain the liquid into 1 or 2 margarita glasses (preferably chilled).
- Use the lime wedge for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for making the Hibiscus Margarita
Here are some suggestions that you can turn to in case that you find any difficulty in following the margarita recipe:
- Although you may use hibiscus tea bags, I suggest opting for dried hibiscus flowers instead. This is because the dried flowers are better in terms of quality. It smells and tastes better than store-bought tea bags. (Plus, tea bags can be coated with chemicals like epichlorohydrin or chlorine.)
- Don't just use any bowl because steeping the dried hibiscus flowers may cause red stains. It'd be best to use glass or stainless steel bowls instead of ceramic or pottery ones. But you can always use a teapot, like the one I mentioned above in the recipe.
- Use hot water in steeping the tea. If you brew the flowers in cold water, it will not produce the same effects as that of boiled water.
- Although you may use sugar or simple syrup, I highly recommend using honey or maple syrup. They taste sweeter but they're healthier choices.