4 Ingredient Bubble Milk Tea (no sugar) May 25, 2018 00:08
If you've ever walked past a Gong Cha, ChaTime, Easy Way or any other bubble tea shop you will see lots of people walking off with a Bubble Tea Drink (pearl milk tea, bubble milk tea, boba tea). Bubble tea originated from Taiwan and basically is made using black tea, black tapioca pearls, condensed milk and syrup. At some stores I've seen non dairy creamers used instead of condensed milk and I'm pretty sure lots of sugar and powders no doubt :)
I always love getting the original milk tea so I decided to make it at home myself. I've tried my best to keep it easy and a much healthier version. It's a super simple recipe with only 4 ingredients - I'm sure you can whip it up fairly quickly!
I've used an Australian Daintree Black Tea called Royalty but you can use any black tea. I have replaced condensed milk/creamers with soy milk which is gentler on my tummy and healthier of course.
For the black tapioca pearls, I popped down to my nearest asian grocery store for a pack of these.
When buy maple syrup, check the ingredients. There are some brands that are half the price but it is mixed in with sugar. The one I got (Queens which you can get at Woolworths or Coles) was the most dearest one but it only contains 100% Canadian maple syrup :)
4 Ingredient Bubble Milk Tea Recipe
Makes 2 serves (300ml each)
- 30g Tapioca Pearls + 2 cups Water
- 5 tsp (10g) Royalty Black Tea (or any black tea) + 300ml Water
- 300ml Soy Milk
- 2 tbsp (60g) Maple Syrup
1. Bring 2 cups of water to the boil and add 30g Tapioca Pearls. Give it a stir.
2. Wait for the pearls to float and keep it on medium heat for 2-3 min. Turn heat off and cover for 2-3 min.
3. Drain pearls and run under cool water for 20 secs, drain again.
4. For the tea, bring 300ml water to the boil, add 5 tsp black tea and brew for 1 min.
5. Pour 300ml soy milk into the tea mixture, bring to the boil and turn heat off.
6. Strain out the tea leaves.
7. In your cup, add the tapioca pearls, 2 tbsp maple syrup, tea mixture and stir to mix.
Add ice and enjoy!