People often drink tea due to health reasons. Whether it's for good digestion or for simply getting you into relaxation, tea is the type of beverage that is a good addition to our lifestyle. One of the healthiest teas is one made from burdock roots.
What is burdock root tea?
The Burdock root tea is a popular caffeine-free herbal tea that has been used for centuries to treat various ailments, mostly as a diuretic and digestive aid. It's made from burdock plants, particularly the burdock roots, which are native to areas within Northern Asia, Europe and even the United States. The burdock plants belong in the same family as daisies and sunflowers.
Other than being turned into tea and used as an herbal treatment, the burdock root can also be eaten as a raw vegetable and often cooked in stews and other recipes. Talk about a triple treat!
What does organic burdock root tea taste like?
The taste of burdock root tea can be strong and bitter like other teas, but it also has a sweet and earthy flavor to it. This makes it a beverage that can be enjoyed both hot and cold. It's also an ingredient used to make a good coffee alternative. Although it doesn’t necessarily taste like coffee, it makes a delicious additive to other coffee alternatives to enhance their flavors. It can make known coffee substitutes like Chicory or Dandelion root tea produce a richer and more robust taste, giving you an experience that’s both satisfying and soothing.
What are burdock root benefits?
Burdock root tea isn’t just about its memorable taste, it’s first known for the wonders it can do for the body!
Here are the following health benefits burdock tea can give:
1. Helps prevent the big C
Drinking organic burdock root tea may possibly help with the prevention of cancer. It contains various antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that might prevent or slow down the progression of cancer. According to this study, burdock root might help slow down the growth of breast cancer tumors. Despite those things, there is still insufficient scientific and medical evidence to prove the role of burdock root tea in dealing with cancer.
2. Cleanses the liver and kidneys
Burdock root tea is considered to be a cleansing tonic mostly because it helps purify important organs like our liver and kidneys to ensure their proper functioning. Its powerful antioxidants can also help eliminate toxic waste in our intestines. According to a 2002 study conducted on rats, it was found that burdock roots can help treat the liver damage caused by too much alcohol consumption. The study has yet to be tested on humans.
3. Relieves aches and pains
Burdock tea is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, a study in 2014 showed that patients with knee osteoarthritis who drank burdock tea experienced lowered inflammatory markers.
4. Improves skin aging
With burdock root tea, there’s no need for the fountain of youth. Burdock roots contain various antioxidants that help fight free radicals and the signs of aging. One study discovered that a cream containing an extract of burdock roots reduced the appearance of wrinkles. Another claimed that burdock roots play a role in treating skin issues like acne.
5. Has an aphrodisiac effect
One of the burdock root benefits is boosting libido. The extract can potentially enhance sexual function and result in more fulfilling sex life for those who are looking to improve their performance or experience different levels of arousal.
6. Helps with bloating and water retention
Burdock root is a diuretic that has been used for centuries to help with water retention. It acts by removing excess fluid from the body and alleviating symptoms of bloating or swelling in various parts of the body including legs, feet, hands, or abdomen.
So if you struggle with bloating and water retention, drinking burdock root tea can help you feel better. You'll probably notice a drop in your weight due to reduced water retention as well.
What are the side effects of drinking burdock tea?
Although there are a lot of benefits burdock tea can give, there are also some possible risks to drinking it. Check them out below:
- While Burdock tea is a natural diuretic, drinking it excessively can cause too much water loss and result in headaches and dehydration.
- If you are allergic to daisies, sunflowers, or chrysanthemums, you might have an allergic reaction once you drink burdock tea.
- Are you taking blood sugar-lowering medication? If yes, then drinking burdock root tea will not be ideal for you because it might cause hypoglycemia.
Is burdock root tea safe for pregnant women?
Sorry moms, but pregnant women or expectant mothers should avoid drinking burdock root tea. Doing so might stimulate the uterus or trigger premature labor.
How to prepare the organic burdock root tea
You have the option to make your burdock root tea using a premade tea bag or loose dried roots. Both are readily available in grocery stores, health shops, and online.
If you're making the burdock root tea using loose dried roots, follow the simple steps below:
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of the dried burdock root and pour it into a teacup.
- Add 7 ounces of boiling hot water into the teacup. Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong you want the taste to be.
- Strain the loose dried roots and enjoy your burdock tea.
If you are going to make iced burdock tea, here's what you should do:
- Scoop two teaspoons of loose dried burdock roots.
- Add it to a glass filled with cold water.
- Put it in a fridge and let it chill for a minimum of 10 minutes or overnight for better results.
As previously mentioned, burdock roots are also an ingredient in making the perfect caffeine-free coffee substitute. Here's how we make it using our Purify Coffee Tea:
- Scoop 1 heaped tablespoon of Purify Coffee Tea (organic roasted dandelion, chicory & barley, burdock root & ginger) and pour it into your cup.
- Pour boiling water into your cup and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- (Optional) Pour a dash of soy or nut milk into your Purify herbal coffee brew.
- You can sip directly from your tea infuser straw or use a Bodhi leaf tea strainer. Enjoy!
Organic burdock root tea, a healthy drink that you can enjoy!
Burdock tea is indeed one of the best teas. It's healthy and caffeine-free, plus it's rich in flavor! Whether you use it to aid digestion, improve your skin, detoxify your body, or simply enjoy an afternoon, it's going to make it a worthwhile experience.If you want the burdock root tea experience, you can start with our Purify Coffee Tea!